Friday, March 24, 2006

Resistance is futile...

Ok, so I resisted for as long as I could, convincing myself that a blog would serve as just another time-waster - as though I don't have enough of those - or that it is too indulgent, clearly something I should avoid. Willpower not being my strongest attribute, this is my blog.

Currently I'm on a leave of absence from my day job, focussing on my writing, and this is the first time since I was about fourteen that I haven't been working (I mean, working for someone else). At times I find this self-imposed isolation difficult to deal with, and crave contact with the world outside my Parkdale apartment, so my hope is that elbowing into the blogosphere will alleviate some of my alienation, without reducing the time I allot to working on my "real" writing.

This blog will also be a forum for me to discuss the writing process, books I read, plays and films I see, as well as to relay adventures in beginners' hockey, promote events I am involved with or interested in, and generally ramble about whatever I deem blog-worthy.

I know that when I read, for example, Bloggamooga, I feel like I've just had a chat with Stuart. I realize it's not quite the same thing as sitting down in "real time" with a real pint with my real friend, but I do feel like we're more in touch. Similarly, I hope that starting the wayward armadillo blog will help me keep in contact with my friends, particularly those who live elsewhere, like Terri in Victoria, Kimberly in Manchester, Jacqui in ... um, where exactly ARE you in the Arctic, anyway, Jaqstar?

I make no promises about frequency of posts, authenticity of content, or consistency of my opinions, but I will make one guarantee: I will always include a song with every post. I will tell you whatever pleasure, guilty or not, that I am listening to.

Tune of the day: RESPECT by Pantera.
(Thanks to my brother-in-law Joe, who insisted it be played at his wedding to my sister. Ever moshed in a bridesmaid dress and heels? "Mosh" is a verb, right? I recently added this song to my current mp3-player rotation. Great pre-game hockey song, too.)

Cheers.

8 Comments:

At 6:18 p.m., Blogger Kate S. said...

Hooray! I was sure that if I hung around the blogosphere long enough you'd turn up sooner or later.

 
At 6:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another way to blog. If you choose to publish it we can all follow your weight, distance, heartrate, pace ...
www.runningahead.com

Cheers ArneParne

 
At 7:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey creative lady - sailing on a wave of inspiration! Note down any ideas. Your on a roll.

 
At 8:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i need some clarification on the type of material you deem blog-worthy.

hypothetically speaking, if a guy you were linked with romantically forgot your 2 year anniversary of dating, would you feel the need to write about it?

i mean, i'm sure hypothetically that the guy would feel really really bad about the situation and would try to make amends at a later date....so it wouldn't necessarily be something that needed to be shared publically and all.....would it?

B.

ps. i'll be looking for typos...

pss. sorry about that. i'll try to do better in the future...

 
At 8:21 p.m., Blogger j-love said...

I think it is fair to note that I also forgot... Therefore our mutual lack of sentimentality is not blog-worthy.

However, I have seen no evidence of afore-mentioned "amends"...

 
At 7:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

S'O.K.
Not only have I just learned that "focussing" has two "s's" …

Not only have I just learned that "Respect" has been covered by others beyond my son's grade 8 concert band (ever heard "Respect" as a clarinet solo?)

I have also just learned that it's digitally acceptable to mix hockey, opinion and lit.

Go tell.

To that end -
Allow me to share some hockey schtick.

Yesterday was the play-offs for the local house league

Here's the results -
The Manning Electrics went up against The Downward Dog Yoga Centres and triumphed.

The Hilton Disposal Units and The Ernie's Deli-Style Meats went into O/T. Believe it or not, the Deli-Styles took it. (Pundits be damned.)

I'm not sure the outcome of the battle between The Dr. Dan Extractors and The Wing's Egg Rolls. I had to do the snack bar run for light brown coffee and blue slushies.

Everybody be cool, I'm gettin' there …

O.K. In second place, The Werner Hardwares! Congratulations go to The Roseneath Dinner Theatres for a well-fought game.

Ta da da da de da -
Drew's team, The Bill's Handymen triumphed over The Palmerston Librarys in a hard-fought game. My respect to the Librarys and my sincere congratulations to the Handymen.

All went home with trophies, pizza and memories to last a lifetime.

My thanks go to all the other adults who spent almost a year's worth of Friday nights beside me, laughing, yacking and applauding all teams equally.

Hockey sleeps when the trees awake. See y'all next winter.

 
At 11:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cograts on launch! Hoping for lots of leads and tips on books!

Here's some current reads:

FEED MY DEAR DOGS
Emma Richler
...charming and unique narrative voice; terrific reading for winter nights

A SHORT HISTORY OF PROGRESS
Ronald Wright
... why complex societies fail - story of Easter Islanders devastating their island ecology and entire society to build stone head megaliths in a mad religious “arms race” is alone worth price of admission

BURNING CHROME
William Gibson
... compelling and fully realized visions of a highly plausible future - 25 years later these cyberpunk short stories remain perfect prose gems - witty, romantic, utterly engaging

THE EUROPEAN DREAM
Jeremy Rifkin
...reasons to look closer at the “European Vision” of society

 
At 7:24 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sick of living in Parkdale.

I wish I could afford a decent place to live.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home