Sunday, April 02, 2006

Hypocrisy and Hyperbole, or What Pissed Me Off This Weekend

So Morrissey has cancelled his Canadian concert tour in protest of the cause-du-jour, the seal hunt. Not only is this a ridiculous move which hurts only his fans, but he humiliates himself further by comparing the seal hunt to the Holocaust. I’m almost embarrassed to own my Smiths cds. While I don’t necessarily think that bashing in the skulls of animals is a terrific undertaking, I understand that this is a complex issue that is not just about cruelty to animals; it’s about indigenous peoples’ right to livelihood and custom, it’s about government regulation, it’s about poverty and employment, and maybe even about Canadian sovereignty. Morrissey goes on to make the hyperbolic statement that Canada is, next to China, the cruellest nation in the world. Hmmm. Isn’t his country helping the U.S. occupy Iraq? So killing humans is better than killing seals? What if we gave the seals guns? Would it be okay then?

Viva Hate, Meat Is Murder, and pass me the steak sauce.

I think Morrissey pissed me off even more than the insulting simplicity, implausibility, and obviousness of the emotionally manipulative movie Crash, which I endured on Saturday. Ouch, I still have bruises from being repeatedly hit over the head!

Later this week I want to take in some hopefully-better cultural CanCon, namely the play Earshot at Tarragon Theatre, by Morris Panych and starring Randy Hughson. Did anyone reading this see Earshot? Hopefully they don’t cancel the run to support those poor little seals…awwww. They're way cuter than those Iraqis, right Morrissey?

In weirdness more local, a man died in a fire in the bathroom of a Tim Horton's near Yorkville today. Allegedly, he'd been about to bomb the place, and the flash fire was accidental. Did his actions have anything to do with the coffee chain? Protesting the company's going public? Or was it a more arbitrary choice of location? What is going on?!

A scary weekend indeed.

Tough to choose a song for this post. I guess it will, pun intended, have to be
DISAPPOINTED by Morrissey

Cheers.

2 Comments:

At 8:35 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

WORD, homes. Nice mock. By the way, my effing book club got postponed til next week because others in the group are less committed to good manners and honouring appointments, and I now find myself seething in a non-flammable fashion at my lack of Lips ticket. Have an awesome time tomorrow. Shee-it.

Cola.

 
At 8:43 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, your link to the Star article about the Tim Hortons freak show isn't working. It is worth fixing. Your readers deserve the chance to experience this quote:

"He's not a strap-on Al Qaeda bomber guy," said Toronto police Staff Sgt. Don Cole.

L-Mac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home