Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple, and The Overcoat

Tonight I'm going to see the documentary Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple at the Bloor. It's about Jim Jones' cult and the mass suicide he led in 1978, and I suspect that watching it will be both riveting and disturbing. Most of the documentaries that Hot Docs presents are great, aside from an ocassional "miss." I'll let you know how it goes.

I hope that I don't cough through it all, like I did yesterday with The Overcoat. Despite a solid ten days of nightmare-inducing Biaxin, I'm still coughing... But The Overcoat is a beautiful play, with no dialogue, just music and movement, based on the Nikolai Gogol short story, set to a Shostakovich score. I missed it back when I worked at CanStage, and managed to catch it this time, thanks to a friend's pair of comps.

Cheers.

I know I've been negligent in assigning a song for each post lately, so this time it's
WAITING ROOM by Fugazi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home