Monday, January 08, 2007

Percocet Really Works!

Well, I thought that I would get a lot of reading done after getting my severely-impacted wisdom teeth out. That has not been the case...

First of all, I did not get them out on Jan. 2, which was my second appointment (first was Dec. 27); moments before my scheduled anaesthesia, the nurse was rushed to the hospital with what may have been a heart attack. I've since learned that she is okay now, and selfishly I suppose it was preferable that she collapsed before my procedure rather than during... So I was rescheduled to a third appointment, which was last Friday.

Yes, my holidays have consisted of eating big pre-surgery meals and then fasting twelve hours ... three times! Probably not great for my digestion.

I have learned that you can dream while under general anaesthesia. While they were tugging out my offending teeth, I dreamed that myself and the four staff memebers were discussing music, and discovered our shared affinity for banjos, and mutual love of John Hiatt. When I came to, I was trying to explain this too them, through my mouth full of bloody gauze, and they smiled agreeably as though they knew just what I was talking about. Which I'm sure they did.

The staff were all really nice, which was important since I was terrified and had procrastinated this procedure for ten years. I don't recommend that strategy - just deal with it - the fear is worse than the reality, and the drugs are good.

Anyway, the point of this post is that Percocet works to dull the throbbing pain in my face, but I can't concentrate very well to read, so I'm behind on the Stacks challenge.

Wow, it has actually been really difficult to type this post. I hope it makes sense. I also hope my face deflates soon, because I look ridiculous. Plus, my jaws hurt and I am getting sick of eating pureed lentils and mashed bananas. I miss solid food! And I miss red wine!

I have enough focus to read blogs though, so thanks to those of you with recent posts (Kate, Stu, JPF, Noisy).

One Percocet is good, two is better.

Cheers.

4 Comments:

At 3:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the Noisy shout-out!

How well I remember the non-sensical and bloody-gauze-mouthed ravings of the post-pullage. I recall catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror at Starbucks (my ride home needed to make a pit stop), pointing at my reflection and garbling out, "Hey! I look like Corky!" (from TV's "Life Goes On").

Good times. I didn't get any Perkies tho. Shafted!

cola

PS I think you should do a writing exercise using the made-up words people have to type out for verification before posting their comments. Mine was "smenita". A hundred words - GO!

 
At 11:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

I'm sure you are just about fed up with the pain in your jaw by now. So I'll quickly tell you my story which might get your teeth grinding again -- its good for the healing process ;).

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 19. The holes in my mouth still get infected from time to time (15 years later -- something to look forward to, but that's just what they are... big gaping holes in you jaw). Anyway, I too remember the bloody gause stuffed mouth and a tongue that felt like someone stuffed a hunk of my Doc Martin's in my mouth. (Isn't it great when your standing over the toilet and you pull the gause out, and for like 10 minutes the blood just pours out of your mouth?... Just me then?) Well, I got home that night -- I was still at my parents at that time, summer after first year, and my brother had just arrived from Windsor. My Mother decides to cook T-bone steaks for dinner for the re-united family. The smell was so sumptuous that I had to have one. I ate the whole thing, couldn't taste it, but I ate a whole steak the day I had my wisdom teeth out.

For me, it was codeine. I hated them. I stopped taking them after day 2. How's that for a quick recovery. Work through the pain.

love ya. get better
later
kev

PS. How about Travis Green, huh?
PPS. Sorry about xmas. we'll get together soon. promise. call me.

 
At 12:02 p.m., Blogger LK said...

Oh, I had my wisdom teeth out but I had just codeine with tylenol to get through it.

Listening to classical music helped. It was really soothing.

Feel better soon.

 
At 3:56 p.m., Blogger j-love said...

Kev - that's one horrorshow of a story! All things considered, and in comparison to the horror stories I've heard, I'm doing well! How cruel of Sharon to taunt you with T-bones in your toothless state... ;)

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and dvd loans lately.

Unfortunately I'm still pretty sore and bruised, though definitely better than a few days ago.

I'm supposed to be in the Women of Winter hockey tournament this weekend... Not sure how that will go. After sitting about for a week solid, skating in multiple games this weekend is a pretty dodgy proposition. We'll see...

Oh, and I've been very amused by the messages I've received by those of you hockey fans who remember my Travis Green crush of 2003, and thought of me when the Leafs reunited with him this week. Let's hope it was a good move for a frustratingly brutal team.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home