Monday, June 12, 2006

Canadian Poetry Night

On Tuesday, June 13th I will be reading at the Art Bar (Victory Cafe, upstairs; Bloor West and Markham, behind Honest Ed's). The reading starts at 8pm and is free, though a hat is passed for donations.

It's Canadian Poetry Night, where various Canadian poets will cover other Canadian poets. I will be reading work by the late Libby Scheier, whose poetry was a significant influence on me when I was a teenager in a small town. Discovering her work was a major turning point in my writing - our local library contained few poetry books, and most by Keats, Donne, Yeats, and Dickinson, so I was thrilled to find something contemporary.

So I stole the book.

Tomorrow night, I will read from that copy of Second Nature, formerly belonging to the Dunnville Public Library.

Cheers.

3 Comments:

At 9:39 p.m., Blogger Kate S. said...

I look forward to hearing you read. It's very cool that you still have that pilfered copy of the book. A bit of a talisman.

 
At 10:38 p.m., Blogger j-love said...

Serendipitously, she was my creative writing prof in second year at York, and as the school year ended, I finally admitted to her that I'd stolen her book - the reaction could have been negative, ie. depriving others of her work, thus my decision to wait until April. Her response was not only favourable, but rather scandalous. You'll have to be there tomorrow night when I'll finish that story!

 
At 11:39 a.m., Blogger writer_guy said...

At the very least, to make amends (or to improve your karmic positioning), perhaps you should donate your published titles (and dig.) to that same local library. Who knows: you could well inspire a budding poet as Scheier inspired you. It's all full circle, doncha know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home