Thursday, August 17, 2006

Writing Tip

Try writing to "Dominion" by The Sisters of Mercy. Oh yeah!

Despite years of resistance to writing while listening to music, I've just discovered that it may not be such a bad thing after all.

Lots of writers I know have no such hang-ups, and on the contrary thrive by writing wearing headphones. I've always been really paranoid of "diluting" stuff or unduly influencing what I'm attempting, or other such crap, and am just discovering, albeit goofily late, the joys and energy of writing to music one loves. I mean, that I love.

The Eagles of Death Metal's song "Flames Go Higher" is pretty good writing music too. Anyone reading this dig this band? I saw them open for Peaches last month, and I'm hooked. Pretty rockin'!

Cheers.

1 Comments:

At 6:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can write to jazz and classical, but find myself distracted by the lyrics of rock or even country. Getting in the flow of the music can be fun, but no matter what I listen to, if I write while listening to music, I have to turn it down or off for reading a piece over or for revision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home