Thursday, June 29, 2006

Armageddon is Here!

Today I was writing a scene in which my main character imagines God killing her enemies, specifically the schoolyard bully Tammy who frequently torments her. Young Emily is a Jehovah's Witness and thus believes that all non-JWs will soon perish in a perpetually-imminent Armageddon. One scenario she vengefully pictured was Tammy being stoned to death by massive hailstones.

Moments later, it started to rain really hard (in real life, that is), and I was concerned about the garden I started putting in yesterday, especially the row of potted flowers lined up obediently on the sidewalk next to the house. As I contemplated ushering them inside until it stopped blowing and pouring, I heard some weird rattling sounds around the outside of the house. I rushed to the window in my office to see what the hell was going on... and it was hailing!

I haven't seen hail in years.

Maybe if I write something about being a better hockey player, that will come true too.

Freaky.

We tied 2-2 last night, and no points for me. Rumour has it though, that #13 on our team inadvertently broke some woman's wrist last week...


Cheers.

(I was trying to think of a song for this post with the word HAIL in the title, but no luck)

6 Comments:

At 7:26 p.m., Blogger writer_guy said...

Hail to the Chief?

 
At 1:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the story that you told me a long time ago, about Daniel running around the backyard yelling Armageddon. Funny thing was that his dog was named Armageddon and he was chasing him around the yard but to someone outside of the fence, they would have just heard a little boy's voice yelling "armageddon" at the top of his lungs.

 
At 2:20 p.m., Blogger j-love said...

Hilarious! I'd completely forgotten about that! Thank you.

I think he was only one who called the dog that... it might even have been someone else's dog. I'll see if he remembers.

As for songs, "Hail to the Chief" was considered, but didn't make the cut. Oh well, I guess Armageddon is a tuneless endeavor.

 
At 5:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post,you should know this about Jehovah's Witnesses that their core dogma is that Jesus had his second coming 'invisibly' in 1914.
This date has it's origin from the second Adventist movement that in turn was derived from the William Miller apocalyptic movement of 1844.

Do a google search and see for yourself,nearly every secular 'non-apostate' source say's that Jehovah's Witnesses are a Millerite "mutation" spin-off.
The 1914 date is a lie,which means that that the 1918 'sealing of the 144,000' is false too so the entire Watchtower doctrinal superstructure comes crashing down like a house of cards.

The Watchtower is a man made cult of falsehoods from the get-go.
Be warned! When judgement day comes the Watchtower false prophets get it first.The scriptures say that the "Judgement starts with the house of God" so this means that anyone who proclaims to be the one true religion gets dealt with first and severe.

Now if you wanted to know about the quality of a product,would you listen to the seller's pitch or a longtime customer?
---
Tell the truth and don't be afraid--Danny Haszard http://www.dannyhaszard.com

 
At 11:59 p.m., Blogger Kate S. said...

How about ACDC's "Hail Caesar"? It's not "hail" in the weather sense, but the lyrics of the song are appropriately apocalyptic...

 
At 1:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, not hail, but what about "Armageddon" by Canadian 70s band Prism? I used to have their greatest hits on cassette when I was 12 or 13. They ranked up there with April Wine and The Guess Who at the time.

Vancouver says HI!

Love,
Linds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home