Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Chippy - is it a metaphor, or does it mean your teeth?

I have to sneak a hockey post in here every once in a while. For the last three of my league games, I've been playing defense. Due to my intense dislike of responsibility in life, I've always been intimidated by playing defense - what if the other team scores? Then it's my fault?! But we never have enough people to play d., so I volunteered, and ended up doing pretty well at it, overall. Three games, and no goals scored during my shifts. My intensely competetive nature, combined with my aforementioned aversion to culpability, makes me a rather aggressive defensive player. Now I'm starting to like it! There's a powerful, fierce feeling that takes over, that makes me swear like crazy and think "there's no fucking way you're taking this puck in"... and no, I don't get it away every single time, but most of them, and lately it's been more satisfying than playing forward.

But I sure get knocked down more, and bruise easily. One gal this week even got a tripping penalty! I was okay though.

The ref was sympathetic on Monday when we had only one sub on defense - one person, not one more line! He offered, chuckling, to get me the difibulator.

Having said all that, I'd like to play up next Monday - with my new stick I can raise the puck a lot more easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home