Friday, November 24, 2006

Reading from my novel-in-progress

On Sunday, November 26, I'll be reading from my novel at the illustrious Fictitious Reading Series. I'm reading with John Degen, author of two books of poetry, and a novel called The Uninvited Guest.

I'm really nervous about this gig. I even had a nightmare about it last night - one of those unprepared stress dreams. The equivalent of being onstage naked, but that wasn't the dream. I was lost (in a desert, no less), late, and brought the wrong notes, couldn't read my own writing, and panicked - that sort of thing. Pretty banal, ultimately, but I woke up feeling a bit freaked.

But in my experience, the more nervous I am, the better the energy onstage, and the better the reading goes overall. So this is good, really!

Why am I so freaked about this reading? I'm not sure exactly, but probably because the work is relatively new, the audience there is generally full of people whose literary opinions I respect, it's a small intimate space, and there is a live interview component...

So come out to my reading and delight in my squirming!

My novel, for those of you who don't know, is about Jehovah's Witnesses, tightropewalking, and new wave music. And some other stuff.

Details:
Fictitious Reading Series
at This Ain't the Rosedale Library (upstairs in the gallery)
483 Church St. (just south of Wellesley)
7:30 pm
Pay-what-you-can

And there are doorprizes!

There is more information about John Degen and me on Kate's Book Blog or at Bloggamooga or on the Fictitious website.

Cheers.

4 Comments:

At 9:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will there be animals fucking other animals inside of soap?

 
At 4:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jehovah's Witnesses, tightropewalking, and New Wave music. Sounds interesting. Is it favorable toward the Witnesses?

 
At 4:23 p.m., Blogger j-love said...

Favourable is such a subjective term... I would say it is "accurate" in depicting this specific experience. You'll have to wait til the book is finished to decide!

 
At 11:16 a.m., Blogger j-love said...

You and me both!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home