Sunday, November 19, 2006

Discoveries at the Victory

Last night's "Sassy Little Craft Show" went really well. There was a steady flow of visitors, sales were good, and people really seemed to enjoy the soap.

I ended up sitting next to Willow Dawson, who illustrates the Violet Miranda comics about female pirates (published by Kiss Machine) . When I first heard about this project, I was a bit alarmed, since my first book was also, in part, a reinterpretation of the illustrious female pirates Anne Bonny and Mary Read. But it sounds like they've written the story from the point of view of the next generation of pirates, which is an interesting perspective, and besides, I guess I don't have any sort of ultimate jurisdiction over the pirates I so enjoyed reinventing. Anyway, we had a really cool chat about different takes on the story, and what drew us to the subject matter in the first place. So I bought the first two issues of the series, and she gave me a female pirate print of one of her illustrations, which is very cool.

The other high point of the show for me was checking out banjo puppets. This guy makes amazing, beautifully expressive creatures, and after a coupla pints I had some in-depth conversations with the monsters, and then took home wee Maurice here with me.




















Hopefully my other pal won't be too jealous. His name is 52.




















Well, that's one craft show down, three to go!

Today I'm working on a new soap that is a reference to a news story I heard CBC cover last spring - that discovery of the hybrid grizzly-polar bear. You can probably guess what the soap will feature... I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier!

There was some debate around what to call the hybrid bear, but I don't know what the outcome was. I don't remember what shows even talked about the unfortunately-dead bear; maybe The Hour? Is interspecies bear breeding something George Stroumboulopoulos would sort out?

1 Comments:

At 11:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the pictures of the animals fucking. More pictures of animals fucking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home