Thursday, April 26, 2007

Simon Armitage reading

I'm behind on posting about a lot of different events and books at the moment, but I'll start catching up chronologically.

On Wednesday, April 18 I went to hear Simon Armitage read at Harbourfront Centre. I didn't think he read for long enough, only about 4-6 poems, but it was a great opportunity to hear his poems in his very own fantastic voice. He read mostly from his newest book Tyrannosaurus Rex Versus the Corduroy Kid, and started off with "I Am a Sperm Whale" and ended with the incantation-like "You're Beautiful."

I didn't stay for the q&a afterward but if I had, I would have liked to ask about the work he did writing lyrics for the wonderful film "Songbirds," and how his process for writing lyrics differs (if it does) from that of poetry.

I was surprised to see so few local poets to see him (Ken Babstock being the only other one I recognized); I mean, it's not like you get a chance to hear or meet Simon Armitage in Toronto very often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home